Wednesday, December 2, 2009

It's all in the mind...

I am in the midst of reading a book called "The Secret" which essentially talks about positive thinking and the law of attraction. While I agree and have personally experienced that positive thinking sure helps one feel happy and relieved for the least if not resolves issues, I wonder how one can be positive 24X7(is that the pessimist me)? It sounds like what Osho recommends: Live in the present like there was no yesterday and there is no tomorrow, think and live for today(that's to sum it up and not the exact phrase). Beats me, how can you not think of tomorrow?(Let me not digress any further)!

It sure makes sense to say that what one emits(thoughts) to the Universe is what one gets back and attracts. 'It's all in the mind', be it - attitude, mindset, beliefs, morals, perspectives, etc. One must feel gratitude to what one has in one's life and visualization(what I call day dreaming) gives the person temporary happiness to believe that you already possess a certain something that you always wanted. Wonder if it is something to do with the psyche? A psychological aspect of the mind that is being tapped?

Nothing could be as apt as this quote from 'The Alchemist': "When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person realize his dream."

What I fail to understand and am unable to draw a parrallel between is: The Secret and the Science of Astrology. If applying The Secret can enable a person to determine his/her life exactly the way he/she wants, then what role does Astrology and planetary positions during the time of one's birth and entire lifetime have to play in determining the good's, bad's and not so good/bad turn of events in an individual's lifetime?

Can a life subscribe to both concepts simultaneously?

The crux is all about belief and faith which amounts to the thought process in one's mind. Let me read on(the book - 'The Secret') and see if I can try figure out what I have in store for the rest of my life from here on......

14 comments:

Manu said...

Hm, do you seriously believe that Astrology plays *any* role in your life???

Hrish Thota said...

I refuse to believe that astrology plays any role in your life. Its upto you to decide your own fate. If you are at a cross road, you just have to make a choice. Astrology is not going to help you make a choice. You have a choice most often than not. People are just scared to take that choice.

popsie said...

@Manu, @Hrish:
Well like I said it's a personal choice and a belief system but ain't Astrology a Science? I am not implying that astrology decides one's fate or destiny but being a Science does it not have a role to play, though ultimately it is about an individual's choice/decision(whether people are scared or not, I rather not comment or generalize).

fitnessfreak said...

I dont know about astrology but I know that positive thinking definitely helps :-)

Manu said...

no, astrology does not qualify as a science in any way.

Raaga said...

If you ask me, astronomy is the science... astrology is pure bunkum

popsie said...

@fitnesfreak: Positive thinking helps but for how long is the question and it has to be conscious effort until it becomes a habit, is what I think.

@Raaga: Yes, Astronomy is a Science while Astrology is a branch/discipline of Astronomy. Again, amounts to belief.

Anonymous said...

Unequivocally, ideal answer

Sorcerer said...

amazing books they are..
alchemist is my feel good book
the secret is awesome :)

Anonymous said...

Good Morning!!! chitchatqueen.blogspot.com is one of the best informational websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. Keep it that way.

Ajatshatru said...

I am not sure I believe in arse-trology because that goes against the basic fabric of this universe - the future cannot be known without experiencing it! However I do believe that your vibes and energies are responsible for attracting the kinds of people, situations, etc to you.

Anonymous said...

You are similar to the expert)))

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

It is remarkable, rather amusing idea